This kit is the culmination of Rat Rig’s accumulated years of experience designing, producing and distributing DIY 3D Printer kits worldwide. Originally introduced in 2017, the V-Core went through several iterations and multiple variants over time, through a process of continuously seeking user feedback to drive product development. The lessons learned over the years allowed us to understand what works and what doesn’t, what features are most valued by users, and what choices ensure both quality and affordability. We’ve distilled all this knowledge into the V-Core 3, which was designed in partnership with Pawel Kucmus, a long time member of our on-line community and one of the most prolific contributors to the V-Core platform.
- 6mm Cast Tooling Plate for Print bed
- Immaculate CoreXY Belt Path
- All movement guided by MGN12 Linear Rails
- Doubled Z resolution with TR8x4 Lead Screws instead of TR8x8
- 3 Point Kinematic Bed
- Frame made with 30x30mm T-Slot aluminium with a beautiful black anodization
- 4mm thick anodized aluminium plates
- 9mm Belts
- Weight of Z drivetrain and bed is distributed across the Z motor mounts – not on the motors themselves
- Available both as a complete kit and a configurable kit (for those who want to select their own electronics)
- Configurable options include LDO motors, Keenovo Heatpads, and multiple controller board options (from Duet3D, SKR, etc)
- 3 build volumes available as standard option: 300, 400 and 500 mm3
|V-Core 3 variant||Build Volume (mm)||External dimensions (mm)*|
- *Z height corresponds to frame height. Your extruder head will protrude slightly above the frame, and you will need extra Z room for filament feed. For the frame version with a top chamber, add 245mm to the given Z height.
- Full End Stop solutions
- EVA 2 Carriage System provides mounts for most popular extruder and hot end choices on the market (Bowden, BMG, Titan, Aero, Hemera, and more to come!)
- Shipping with EVA 2.2.1
What is EVA?
EVA is an independently developed and maintained project that aims to be a single platform for many extrusion types.
Copperhead and Bondtech LGX support incoming!
Note that not all print head types (due to their physical dimensions) can achieve the full 300×300 print space.
EVA 2 is the next iteration of the EVA platform with which V-Core 3 is fully compatible. Most vivid improvements since the last iteration is the improved front belt clamp feature (no more zip ties!), improved contribution system, more ease of assembly, modular X endstop system, dedicated cable paths and shrouds (for ascetics).
Read more about EVA on: EVA 2 Documentation
- Fully comprehensive wiring and electronics guide for multiple controller boards
- Support configuration files for several firmware choices (Reprap, Marlin, Klipper)
- Wiring design includes multiple cable management parts, for cable clamping, guiding and strain relief
- For 220V Heat pad users, grounding point at the bed and fully isolated bed from the rest of the printer means that the printer frame is never conducting any dangerous voltages.
- Designed for a far easier and quicker assembly than previous versions.
- Separate chamber for electronics ensures heat insulation, short motor cable path, easy access to all wiring, and a very clean installation.
- Fully comprehensive step by step build guide (Both static and video)*Panel for mounting electronics is not supplied, user is meant to source it locally. A 4mm thick polycarbonate sheet is suggested. Mounting screws and nuts are included as part of the base kit. DXF files with size, shape and hole patterns for the panels are provided on the project documentation.
- Custom Keenovo Heat Pad with pre-wired 157ºC Thermal Fuse for extra safety (Optional)
- Easily and fully enclosable frame
*Enclosing panels are not supplied, user is meant to source them locally. A 4mm thick polycarbonate sheet is suggested. Mounting screws and nuts for these panels are NOT included as part of the base kit. DXF files with size, shape and hole patterns for the panels are provided on the project documentation.